BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help

Last Updated:  Wednesday, 19 February, 2003, 22:24 GMT
Wolves edge past Ipswich
Ipswich 2-4 Wolves

Wolves twice came from behind to record a precious victory over play-off rivals Ipswich at Portman Road.

Lee Naylor struck a stunning 25-yard volley on 74 minutes to put his side ahead for the first-time in a thrilling contest, before George Ndah added a fourth with nine minutes remaining.

Earlier, Scottish striker Kenny Miller had twice equalised for Wolves, after Ipswich took the initiative through first-half goals from Marcus Bent and Matt Holland.

The game was all about personal battles across the pitch and it's fair to say we came out on top
Wolves manager Dave Jones

Bent gave Ipswich the perfect start when he headed home after just two minutes.

Darren Ambrose's free-kick from the right was poorly punched by Wolves keeper Matthew Murray straight to the former Blackburn striker, who nodded in from the centre of penalty area.

Wolves rallied, though, and were level nine minutes later. Andy Marshall should have dealt better with Colin Cameron's shot, but he could only direct the ball to Miller who tapped in from close range.

The game opened up after the equaliser, and Miller had a good chance to put the visitors ahead moments later but fired wide from inside the box.

We started giving the ball away and at times we defended like children.
Ipswich Town manager Joe Royle

Ipswich midfielder Tommy Miller had a glorious chance to restore the home side's lead on 19 minutes.

Darren Bent created the chance with a fine run and cross from the right, but the unmarked Miller fired just wide from 16 yards.

Four minutes later and Dutch full-back Fabian Wilnis set-up Darren Bent, but the England Under-20 striker headed just wide from close range.

Murray had to be alert to deny Marcus Bent 10 minutes before the break, racing off his line to smother the ball at the striker's feet after a good cross by Jim Magilton.

Town did re-take the lead just before half-time, when Holland blasted home from 25-yards after Magilton laid off a free-kick.

The lively pace continued after the break, and Ipswich felt they could have had a penalty soon after the restart when Magilton's cross was handled by Wolves skipper Paul Ince, but referee Steve Bennett decided it was ball-to-hand rather than deliberate.

Ipswich gifted Wolves a second equaliser on 62 when Thomas Gaardsoe gave the ball away in midfield, and Mark Kennedy crossed for Kenny Miller, who side-footed home from three yards.

Wolves then snatched the lead when Naylor smashed home Kennedy's corner, and Ndah then wrapped up the points when he broke the offside trap before beating Marshall.

Ipswich: Marshall, Wilnis, McGreal, Gaardsoe, Makin, Miller, Magilton, Holland, Ambrose, Marcus Bent, Darren Bent.
Subs: Counago, Naylor, Wright, Pullen, Reuser.

Wolverhampton: Murray, Irwin, Lescott, Butler, Naylor, Cameron, Ince, Rae, Kennedy, Miller, Ndah.
Subs: Oakes, Sturridge, Proudlock, Edworthy, Andrews.

Referee: S Bennett (Kent).

Links to more English Div 1 stories


ALSO IN THIS SECTION Football League Podcast

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport